Who we are
The PMP Research Foundation is an IRS-designated 501(c)3 charitable organization. The Foundation was created in 2008 by a community of individuals affected by Pseudomyxoma Peritonei (PMP), Appendix Cancer, and related Peritoneal Surface Malignancies (PSM).
Learn more about our Board of Directors
and our Professional Advisory Board.
What we do
The PMP Research Foundation is dedicated to (1) funding research to find a cure for Pseudomyxoma Peritonei (PMP), Appendix Cancer, and related Peritoneal Surface Malignancies (PSM), and (2) funding educational programs to educate physicians and patients about these diseases.
We want you to feel 100% confident that your donation is secure and will be well-managed. Please view our IRS designation letter, annual filing requirements and standards of conduct on our Donor Confidence page for more information.
Why we do it
- Prior to formation of the PMP Research Foundation, no centralized organization existed that was dedicated to raising funds for distribution for PMP and appendix cancer research in an objective way.
- Private donations for PMP and appendix cancer research were primarily made to individual doctors rather than towards competitive, RFP-driven funding based on the quality of the science.
- From the patient’s perspective, research often appeared to be redundant or theoretical with little coordination between researchers.
- Movement appeared slow to change clinical practice or improve curability.
- The rarity of PMP and appendix cancer translates into minimal government funded research.
- PMP and appendix cancer patients continue to be misdiagnosed and/or not offered the optimum treatment for these diseases.
Establish the first centralized charitable organization to fund PMP and appendix cancer research. (goal achieved, July 2008).
Raise $100,000 to award our first grant in 2009 (goal achieved, November 2009: more details available at Research Grants/Awards).
Create and maintain a short list of priority research that will produce near-term results in improving the quality of life and curability of PMP and appendix cancer patients.
Play a leading role in the dissemination of accurate information regarding PMP and appendix cancer both to the patient and to medical communities.
Raise a minimum of $1 million to fund promising research within 3-5 years (goal achieved, December 2013).
Help researchers find a cure for PMP and appendix cancer.
We need your help to achieve our goals. Please Donate Now.